[daip] Woah! [forwarded from Paul Hirst] New Hot Box AIPSmark

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Mon May 8 21:49:36 EDT 2000

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Paul Hirst <p.hirst at jach.hawaii.edu>
To: pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Subject: New Hot Box AIPSmark
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 15:41:35 -1000 (HST)

Hi Patrick,
   Thought you might be interested in this - I just installed AIPS
(31Dec99, no updates yet) at Joint Astronomy Centre in Hilo, Hawaii.

The bottom line is this: I now get an AIPSmark(93) of ** 25.6 ** on my
Linux PC. It's an 800MHz P-III (Coppermine) with 1 IDE disk (7200rpm)
and 128MB or ram. Data disks were (obviously) local, but the AIPS
binaries were on a somewhat loaded sun/solaris NFS server.

Notes:

1) I've put symlinks in the aips installation so that DA00/<hostname>
is on a local disk too. Don't know how much difference this makes.

2) I'm hoping for more RAM soon-ish-maybe. Should be interesting to
see how much this affects things. There wasn't much (any?) swapping
going on during the DDT, but there wasn't much memory availiable for
disk cache.

3) This is with hdparm -c1 -m16 -d1 -u1. Without these enabled, I got
an AIPSmark of 14. Big difference; probably especially so on a
memory-starved machine like mine where there's little disk cache and
maybe some swapping.

4) Compilers were egcs-2.91.66.

5) Speed parameter set to 25.0

6) Linux RedHat 6.1 Kernel 2.2.12-20

Feel free to put this info on your Web pages, and/or contact me if
there's any other info about the machine / config / installation / etc
that you're interested in.

I'd be very interested to know if you've heard any figures from people
with AMD K7 systems.

Cheers,
	Paul.

PS. Come along way since I sent you the figures for that P-200 huh?
(yeah, err, both me *and* the technology... :-)

- --
Paul Hirst  <p.hirst at jach.hawaii.edu>      Tel: [+1] (808) 969-6537
UKIRT Support Astronomer                   Joint Astronomy Centre
660 N'Aohoku Place, University Park, Hilo, Hawaii. HI 96720