[daip] Re: (no subject)

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Thu Mar 30 12:29:37 EST 2000

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:24:11 +0200, "J. Ricardo Rizzo" <jrizzo at oan.es> said:

> I decided to update to version 31DEC99 for reading MAC data with the
> 12m. However, when I run aips in this new version, the same error
> occurs. What might be happen?

I suspect the data is the problem here:
milong> OTFIN1: Task OTFIN  (release of 15APR99) begins
milong> OTFIN1: OTFINF: RECORD, DIR LENGTHS********** NOT 512 64

This happens when AIPS looks at the third and fourth integer (4-byte)
words in the header of the data.  These should be 512 and 64,
respectively, or the byte-swapped equivalent.  The program has what looks
like auto-sensing code to notice this.

What is the nature of the INFILE in question?  When you throw it at
"file" from the Linux command line, e.g.:

       file /wherever/myfile.mac

what does it say?  Then try this:

       od -D /wherever/myfile.mac | head

so we can get a better handle on what the file really is or if it got
corrupted somehow.

				- Pat