[daip] BLCAL Woes

Rick Perley rperley at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Mar 23 07:41:05 EST 2000

	Gentlemen:

	Something is weird with BLCAL.

	I have a 3C273 database, and am seeking the ultimate dynamic
range (what else!)  I used BLCAL in two ways.  Both used the same
data, and the same model.

	a) I run BLCAL on a single-source database, then use SPLIT to
apply the corrections.

	b) I convert the database to multi form with MULTI, run
BLCAL, then SPLIT to apply the corrections.  (The reason for the multi
format is to permit a PCAL to be run).

	The results are DIFFERENT!  Result (a) improves the map
beautifully.  It's exactly what Dr. Rick wants.  Result (b) is *much*
worse.  But it's worse in a very peculiar way -- not at all as if the
corrections went in 'backwards'.  Mostly, the larger angular scale
visibilities seem to have been increased.

	Is there any simple explanation?  A correctable error?

	Dr. Rick