[daip] Trouble with 15OCT99 for Linux

Joshua N Winn jnwinn at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 17 11:43:41 EST 2000

Dear AIPS helpers,

I am at wit's end with the 15OCT99 version of AIPS
that I recently installed on our PCs under Red Hat Linux v6.1.
(I installed using the binaries.)  We used to use 15APR99
with no problems but when I installed Red Hat 6.1 I also
performed a fresh install of AIPS 15OCT99.  The hard drive
was re-formatted so all the software had to be installed
from scratch.

The installation went smoothly and most AIPS tasks
seem to be working fine and without any error messages,
but when I try to FITLD some data from tape, it doesn't
work most of the time. What happens is that the MSGSERV
window says that it sees the data on the tape and begins
to create a file on disk. It proceeds until, about 500 MB
or so later (varying with the tape I try), it just halts.
There is no error message,
but the disk file stops growing (as evidenced by FREESPAC)
and the tape drive stops whirring.  The activity light on
the hard drive keeps going crazy but nothing is being
written to disk.

For short files, FITLD seems to work but takes much much
longer than it should. Also, UVCOP takes much much longer
than it should....and the same halting behavior occurs with
larger data files.

I am running AIPS on a SCSI disk (which is the boot disk,
and also data area #1).
There's also an internal IDE drive connected to the machine
and has an AIPS data directory on it too. The problem occurs
regardless of which disk drive I attempt to write to.  Strangely,
even when I try to write to the IDE drive, when the halting
problem occurs, the SCSI disk light indicates activity.
This leads me to believe I may have the data areas configured
wrong, or something like that.  But I cannot find help in
any of the AIPS installation FAQs, manuals, cookbook, etc.

Any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh Winn.