[daip] Help please

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon Mar 13 10:52:14 EST 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:48:41 +0200 (SAST), Johan van der Walt
   <johan at fskdjvdw.puk.ac.za> said:

> I have installed AIPS from the source code a couple of days ago.

Was this 15OCT99 or 31DEC99?  It doesn't matter much in this particular
case, but it can help for us to know.

> .... I use a Linux machine.

> AT the moment I have two problems which I don't know how to solve.

> (1) The TV doesn't seem to work. One of the error messages give a path
> and says that a file or directory XAS does not exists.

I'll bet you are running a 16 bit X11 visual.  Check the output of
"xdpyinfo", and also -- if you are using XFree86 -- look at your
/etc/X11/XF86Config file.  You'll likely see a section near the end like
this:

  Section "Screen"
      Driver      "svga"
      Device      "My Video Card"
      Monitor     "My Monitor"
      Subsection "Display"
          Depth       32
          Modes       "1280x1024"
          ViewPort    0 0
      EndSubsection
  EndSection

Note the "32" for depth.  Check with either a tool like XConfigurator, or
by reading the manuals for your graphics card and monitor, to see if you
can increase your depth to 32 without sacrificing the resolution
(1280x1024 above).

> (2) When I installed AIPS I did it as root.

You should not have.  One of the first things in the INSTEP1 process is a
check if you are root:

   AIPS should NOT be installed as root.  Some of the files need
   to be accessed in read/write mode by the users.  Please
   restart INSTEP1 from a non-privileged account such as aips
   or aipsmgr, or your regular account.

and it then dumps you back to the unix command prompt.  This, however,
will not appear if you have done a simple "su" to root.  I'll fix that.
If you logged in as root or did a "su -", it should have appeared.

> I created an AIPS account and installed AIPS under that account.

Did you completely remove the previous installation, including data areas
etc?  Chances are that permissions are wrong on some of the system file
areas, the data areas, etc.  All AIPS files should be readable, and in
three cases writable, by anyone who needs to run AIPS.  Here at NRAO we
use a group (aipsuser) and require people who want to run AIPS to be in
it.  It need not be their primary group.

The three cases are:

    1.  All data areas configured in DADEVS.LIST and NETSP files
    2.  All host-specific DA00 areas under $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/...
    3.  The $AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/MEMORY/ ($TSTMEM) area.

In all cases, the correct procedure to accomodate an aipsuser group is:

    a) chgrp -R aipsuser directory-name
    b) chmod -R g+w directory-name
    c) chmod g+ws directory-name

This changes all files and directories to take on the aipsuser group id,
makes them group writable, and also makes the directories themselves
setgid to aipsuser so that files created therein henceforth will have the
right group id (aipsuser).

Hope this helps.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory