[daip] aips installation woes

John Ouellette John.Ouellette at hia.nrc.ca
Fri Mar 3 14:21:24 EST 2000

Hi,

I hope you can help me with some problems I'm having with attempting an
aips (15OCT99 - SUL) installtion.  In a nutshell (or is that a banana peel?),
the problems I'm having are related to the fact that the aips root is
mounted read-only via NFS on the computers which will be running aips.
I've managed to get around some of the initial problems with a bit of
hacking, but I was sort of hoping that you had helped someone else with
a RO NFS install of aips and could give me some pointers.  The problems
I've traced all seem to be related to the fact that aips insists on
writing to files/directories within the aips root.

Part of the work-arounds I've done were to:
- make the DATA areas links to local RW disks (as was suggested in the
  aips installation summary)
- made $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/[local computer] a link to a local RW directory with
  the content (memory files?) that was placed in there during the install.
  (This seemed to get rid of a couple errors, but create one or two more...).
- Added a few hard links to MSGSRV.EXE, TVSERV.EXE, etc. in the LOAD directory.
  We're running aips on servers with many XTerms as remote displays --
  although I will eventually add the XTerms into the HOSTS.LIST file with
  `display only' tags, I'm currently testing things with TV=local, which
  aips apparently handles by creating hard links in the LOAD directory to
  various executables.

One additional complication: users will not be running aips as `aips', but
rather under their own loginIDs.

If you haven't handled this sort of set up before, then perhaps we
could arrange to discuss this by phone?  My number is 250-363-8106.

Thanks,
John Ouellette

P.S. 	Here is a listing of there (numerous) error messages I get when
	I start aips.

 > aips TV=local
START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV

You have a choice of 7 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [PS-CMYK] HP Color LJ 8500DN in room 216
     2. [PS-CMYK] HP Colour Laserjet in room 315
     3. [     PS] HP 5Si MX in room 150 (workshop)
     4. [     PS] HP 5Si MX in room 230 (Electronic lab)
     5. [     PS] HP 5Si MX in room 315 (skylight room)
     6. [     PS] HP LJ4 in machine shop
     7. [     PS] HP LJ 4000N for Library Public use.

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]: 1
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the HP Color LJ 8500DN in room 216
START_AIPS:  - system name husqvarna at printhost, AIPS type PS-CMYK

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /usr/local/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /usr/local/aips/DATA/SONGISH_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

TVDEVS.SH: Starting TV servers on songish asynchronously
TVDEVS.SH:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
TVDEVS.SH: Starting TPMON daemons on SONGISH asynchronously...
Starting up 15OCT99 AIPS with normal priority
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
ZDCHI1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:SPD000000;
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
ZDCHI1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
 ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 15OCT99) at priority =   0
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:SPD000000;
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
 ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA01
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: THIS MEANS THE TIMDEST LIMIT IS SET TO VALUE IN SP FILE OR 14.0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   4
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   4
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?ps: illegal option -- f
usage: ps [ -aceglnrSuUvwx ] [ -t term ] [ num ]
ps: illegal option -- f
usage: ps [ -aceglnrSuUvwx ] [ -t term ] [ num ]
STARTPMON: [SONGISH] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
ZVTPO3 bind (INET): Address already in use
 Note: IEEE floating-point exception traps enabled:
    overflow;  division by zero;  invalid operation;
 Nonstandard floating-point mode enabled
 See the Numerical Computation Guide, ieee_handler(3M), ieee_sun(3M)
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on songish
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on songish, DISPLAY skowlitz:0.0
XAS: ***********************************
XAS: **  No TrueColor found
XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
XAS: ***********************************
XAS: Using screen width height 1590 1100, max grey level 196
XAS: Cannot use shared memory on remote XAS link
XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!
XAS: Warning -- creating virtual colormap
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on songish, display skowlitz:0.0
1
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:ACD000000;
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: ACCOUNT: OPEN ERROR      6
AIPS 1:                          15OCT99 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on songish, display skowlitz:0.0
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history *not* recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.