[daip] aips problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 28 15:53:35 EDT 2000

Ryan Miller writes:
 > Hi.  I'm trying to install aips 31DEC99 on a professors machine.  It is a
 > soalris 2.7 machine that already has 15OCT99 on it.  Unfortunately we use
 > gcc/g77, not cc/f77, as your scripts assume.  Can you either send me some
 > scripts that will use gcc/g77 on a solaris machine, or tell me what to
 > change to get the scripts I currently have to work.  I've been trying to
 > use the update.pl script, like the instructions suggest to.

     Pat has already told you how to achieve what you have requested.
I want to point out that we tried the egcs compiler (now called g77)
on Solaris with disappointing results.  The code worked, but it ran
30-50% slower than when compiled with Sun's compilers.  g77 is very
good in optimizing for Intel chips, but manufacturers like Sun and
Compaq (DEC) do better with their own chips.  Of course, their
compilers are not free.