[daip] default stokes flag in TVFLG

Chris Fassnacht cfassnac at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Jun 16 17:36:36 EDT 2000

Dear AIP,

I'm wondering if there is any way to get the default stokes flag pattern in
TVFLG to be "full" by using an input parameter.  I am flagging VLA data and I
look at both RR and LL polarizations. I find it easier to look at both planes
at once and switch between them inside of TVFLG.  It seems like most, but not
all, of my data that are bad in one polarization are bad in the other
polarization as well.  Thus, I would prefer that the default flag pattern would
flag both polarizations, and I would then invoke a "RR" or "LL" flag pattern in
the less common situation when the data are bad in one polarization only.

My possibly flawed interpretation of the help file indicates that the choice of
stokes flag to display (via the STOKES input parameter) should set the default
flag pattern. However, if I use "rrll" or "full" or "half" as my choice of
stokes display, I get a default flag pattern of "noll".  This is not a problem
when I remember to use the "enter stokes flag" choice on the interactive TVFLG
menu to set the flag pattern to "full".  Unfortunately, there are times when I
forget to do this and flag a lot of things in RR only to discover when I look
at LL that they didn't get flagged for both polarizations.  This can be very
frustrating on data sets that have a lot of problems.  I don't want to use
stokes I as a display since there are a few problems that are specific to RR or
LL.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

	Chris