[daip] AIPS problem

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Jul 18 16:47:55 EDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:11:16 -0700 (PDT), Chunhua Qi
   <qch at ovro.caltech.edu> said:

> We're having a problem running AIPS on a campus machine (e.g. mars)
> remotely from up at OVRO. I tries to ssh down to mars, and then run
> aips.  (I do not reset the DISPLAY environment so that the X connection
> will tunnel back through ssh.)

I understand. I've done this many times.  Your problem, as Eric said, is
that AIPS will still try to run itself on mars, but use the TV on "local".
So the X server and client are trying to share physical memory.  That
won't work when they're not running on the same host.  The scripts do not
yet have an easy way of figuring out that a DISPLAY of "remotehost:14.0"
is not really running on "remotehost" but on your local system.  I need to
fix this sometime (in my copious spare time of course!)...

Try this on your desktop system:

    echo "AIPStv*useSharedMemory: 0" | xrdb -merge
    aips                (to get the TV started)
    > exit
    slogin mars
    aips tv=mylocalhostname tvok

This will work reasonably fast, with the connection between your local XAS
and the remote AIPS being over the AIPS sockets, not through the X
tunnel.  If there is a good reason for wanting to run the XAS on the
remote system and tunnel it, you should also be able to do that:

    echo "AIPStv*useSharedMemory: 0" | xrdb -merge
    slogin mars
    aips tv=local

"local" literally of course, to use Unix sockets.  It should pick up the
display correctly.  This will not prevent someone on mars from sitting in
front of it and using AIPS and the regular (INET socket) TV.

> P.S. Even though I set display here, xhost+ mars

If you're using ssh, you should never have to type "xhost".  I haven't
used that command in years.

				- Pat