[daip] [forwarded from rcgore] [Fwd: VLBI data]

Chris Flatters cflatter at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Jul 17 11:40:41 EDT 2000

rcgore <rcgore at earthlink.net> writes:

> From somewhere I got the impression that some of the NRAO data might in
> the public domain.
>
> I am looking for some data to test a new set of VLBI algorithms for
> observing objects in the solar system. For this purpose I need digital
> data before it's been correlated. Data from three apertures would be
> fine but, initially, two would be enough. And it would be nice if the
> apertures were collecting from an object near the ecliptic.

We can not provide you with this data for the simple reason that we do
not archive the data prior to correlation.

Even if the data were available, it would be impractical for you to deal
with it: you would need a considerable amount of expensive equipment to
read the data from tape and to interpret it. In addition, the pre-correlated
data is large: of the order of 1 terabyte per antenna per experiment.

	Chris Flatters
	cflatter at nrao.edu