[daip] FILLM

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Jul 17 10:40:44 EDT 2000

Johan van der Walt wrote:

> I have a question on the averaging time to be used in FILLM.
>
> What is the effect of choosing different averaging times? For continuum
> emission what would a good choice? What is too short an averaging time
> and what is typically too long?
>
> Thanks
>
> Johan

A longer averaging time reduces the size of your data set, but
doesn't do anything useful otherwise.

If you use an averaging time that is longer than the averaging
that was done at the time of the observation, you have some
potential for reducing the size of the field that you can
image, due to time-average smearing.  This should have been
thought about at some level when the observations were
scheduled, so that the real-time averaging time is consistent
with what you needed.

Bottom line is that unless you're hurting for disk space, you
should not average the data in FILLM--just set CPARM(1)=0.

Jim Ulvestad