[daip] Re: AIPS upgrade problems..

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Sun Jul 9 12:37:23 EDT 2000

On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 21:54:40 -0400, Vassilis Charmandaris
   <vassilis at astro.cornell.edu> said:

VC> I was trying to upgrade my AIPS 15APR99  to the latest 31DEC99 version
VC> on a Solaris Ultra 10 workstation.

VC> Reading through the instruction you have at page:

VC> 	http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/mnj.html

VC> I did steps 1, 2, and 3.

VC> However, when I run the update.pl script at some point I got an error
VC> message which I could not resolve:

VC> make: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc: Command not found
VC> make: *** [xas.o] Error 127

VC> We do not have the "cc" compiler for Solaris since Sun does not give it
VC> by default with the Solaris distribution but I do have gcc installed.

VC> So I went and I modified the file:

VC> 	/opt/local/aips/31DEC99/Y/SERVERS/XAS/Makefile

VC> to use my gcc compiler.

You also need to modify it so that the Sun Compiler flags are removed, or
better still replaced with GNU equivalents.  That's why it still didn't
work:

VC> /opt/local/bin/gcc -I/usr/openwin/include -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O -v -K PIC
VC> -Xa -c xas.c
VC> gcc: PIC: No such file or directory

The "-K PIC" is a Sun Compiler option, not a GNU C one.  I'd suggest using
the various LINUX settings, so the above line should have:

    -D_BSD -D_USE_SHM -O2

(don't use the -m486 as that's not appropriate for GNU C on Sparc
Hardware).

VC> gcc: unrecognized option `-K'
VC> gcc: unrecognized option `-Xa'

There's your clue.

VC> Would to be simpler to just scrape the whole AIPS instalation and start
VC> from the begining?

No; it's just the making of XAS that is holding you up.  However, in order
to run INSTEP2 and INSTEP4, you'll have to edit the following files after
the update.pl script is done:

    1.  $SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH     - use gcc and correct options
    2.  $SYSLOCAL/LDOPTS.SH     - ditto
    3.  $SYSUNIX/FDEFAULT.SH    - edit the SOL section, use gcc/g77 + options

HTH.
				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory