restoring gaussian clean components

Eric Greisen egreisen at NRAO.EDU
Wed Feb 23 14:27:47 EST 2000

Sheperd Doeleman writes:

 > I have used the task RSTOR in the past to restore delta function
 > clean compnents to a map and it's worked fine.  When I tried to
 > use RSTOR to restore gaussian clean components though, it
 > wouldn't work.

        RSTOR was never intended to work for anything but points.
Does your CC file consist solely of Gaussians of the same major and
minor axes and position angles or do those parameters vary?  If they
don't, I suspect that RSTOR could be made to work.

 > Can you suggest a way that I can take a CC table of gaussian
 > clean components and restore them to an image?

     IMAGR will restore to uv data.  Nothing other than RSTOR for
images.

 > I also found that the task UVSUB was unable to handle as input
 > a CC table of gaussian clean components.  This task should transform
 > clean components to the UV plane and add/subtract them directly
 > from the UV data.

      If you are running 31DEC99, this suprises me.  I added
multi-resolution Clean to IMAGR and tested UVSUB on the output, all of
which depends on Gaussians.  I discovered that gridded subtraction was
not previously coded for Gaussians but DFT was in place.

Eric