[daip] specr

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Dec 22 17:30:36 EST 2000

Slava,

If you want to increase the number of channels for IF - to
increase the frequency resolution, then you understand of course that
the resolution will not be actually increased (improved).
You will get some redundant points in the spectrum.

If you want to decrease the number of channels for IF - to smooth
the spectrum then the AIPS task AVSPC is more preferable.

Finally if you still want to use SPECR send me
IMH of your data
parameter NPOINT you used in SPECR
and IMH of the output data.

I'll play with SPECR here using my data

Good luck.

Happy New Year.

Leonia

-----------------------

Dear Jim,
may I ask your advice on using AIPS? While reducing OH data obtained with
VSOP and VLBA I wanted to change the frequency resolution ( in fact to
increase it) using task SPECR in AIPS. It produced me a file which appeared
to have required number of channels, but could not be worked with at all.
For example, the spectrum could not be plotted with POSSM, or fringe
spectrum could not be seen with FRPLT. Apparently something went wrong with
SPECR, or some additional operations are required, in addition to UVSRT.

Best wishes and a Merry Christmas to you,
    Slava