[daip] AIPS Services

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Dec 13 14:38:24 EST 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:13:33 +0530 (IST), "Dr. Ishwara Chandra C. H."
   <ishwar at isac.ernet.in> said:

> I have installed AIPS here, from source code. The aips installation went
> well (I have experience in the past). There is this peculier problem of
> services. The ports 5000/tcp and 5002/tcp, required by AIPS are already
> in use. I was told, it can not be changed.

According to /etc/services the latter is used:

rfe		5002/tcp			# Radio Free Ethernet
rfe		5002/udp			# Actually uses UDP only

so I don't know if this is one of the uses involved.  I'd be surprised if
it were.

Anyway, the easiest solution is to configure the system NOT to use INET
sockets for the TV, Tek server, etc.  You can edit the beginning of the
START_AIPS script in $AIPS_ROOT thus:

#                                       Only change these if you know
#                                       what you're doing...
USEUNIXSOCK=YES
NEWUNIXSOCK=NO

(the default value for USEUNIXSOCK is NO).

This solution means that you won't have the ability to have remote AIPS
jobs access your local TV, as you can't pass information easily from one
host to another via Unix sockets.

Another solution is to simply assign a different number to the sssin and
ssslock services in your /etc/services or your YP/NIS/LDAP services map.
My understanding of the code (and I invite corrections from my DAIP
colleagues on this) is that we use getservbyname to resolve the actual
numeric port based on the sssin or whatever name of the service.

The only downside of this second solution is that if you ever wanted to
run AIPS on a colleague's computer at another institution via remote (ssh)
login, you could not use a local TV as the port numbers would be different
between you and them.  This may not be a problem if it's not something you
will likely ever want to do.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory