[daip] AIPS TV, message, and TEK servers

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Aug 30 13:24:29 EDT 2000

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:58:15 JST, Imai Hiroshi <imai at miz.nao.ac.jp> said:

> Today, I would like to ask how to recover the following problem.
> We are now installing AIPS version 31DEC99 in a PC installed LINUX.
> After the all procedures, we can see a TV, message, and TEK servers.
> when starting AIPS. However, we cannot see messages or plots in the
> message and TV servers. Instead, the following error messages are
> appeared when executing the task TVINIT and SNPLT (DOTV=1).

>> tvinit
> ZSSSL2: solo2150: UNKNOWN HOST

I would like to see the messages you get on startup.  To do this cleanly,
you should exit AIPS with "kleenex" to make sure all the servers are shut
down cleanly.  There should not be any XAS, TEKSRV, MSGSRV, TVSERV, or
TPMON processes running.  Once you have reached this state, start up AIPS
again, capture the startup messages, and send them to me.

AIPS is trying to open a socket to a host called "solo2150".  If you can
do this from the command line on your linux machine:

   /bin/ping solo2150

and get a response (interrupt it with control-c), then the host name is
defined correctly.  If not, or if you get a similar "unknown host" error,
then it's a problem with your network, system, or Domain Name Service
(DNS).  I'd like to eliminate those as a possible source of the problem.

> In these messages, we have no idea what is the true meaning of
> 'HOST',

A machine; a computer.

> or where AIPS identify the 'HOST'.

It gets it from both the startup scripts and HOSTS.LIST.

> Here, the name 'solo2150' is defined as a hostname of the PC.

That's what I thought.  All AIPS is trying to do here is open up an
internet domain (INET) socket on a certain high numbered port to the
system in question.  I don't know why it can't.

You may also want to read the manual page for AIPS ("man aips", or inside
AIPS itself, "help aips") and read the TV section.  There are a lot of
options, including use of Unix domain sockets instead of INET sockets.  If
ou choose Unix domain sockets via the "aips tv=local" startup, you may
well avoid the problem you currently have, but multiple AIPS sessions will
not have network access to the TV, Tek, and Message servers then.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory