[daip] 31DEC99 install (and calibration problems)

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Aug 30 13:13:48 EDT 2000

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was concentrating exclusively on
getting the long-expected install.pl script finished.  It's now in beta
testing.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:30:59 -0400 (EDT), Michel Fich
   <fich at astro.uwaterloo.ca> said:

> I have been trying to install 31DEC99 AIPS on a new SUN 220R (dual
> 450 MHz UltraSPARC with 200 GByte RAID disk array).

[tangential point: I'd be interested in how much you paid for this, and
 what sort of AIPSMarks one can achieve on it, eventually.  My gut feeling
 is that in terms of price/performance for AIPS, Intel/Linux is stealing
 the show...]

> This machine is already running 15APR98...

Fair enough.

> I followed the instructions on the web, and in update.pl, exactly

This script and the instructions were thrown together (by yours truly) in
somewhat of a haphazard manner, and probably both need to be revised.

> but the output of INSTEP2 looks like (machine is called
> champion.uwaterloo.ca):

> champion-16> pwd
> /u/aips/31DEC99/SUL/INSTALL
> champion-17> ls
> AIPGUNIX.LIS   APGOOP.LIS     INSTEP4@       QPGOOP.LIS     YPGNOT.LIS
> AIPNOT.LIS     APLPGM.LIS     INSTEP4.LOG    QYPGM.LIS
> AIPPGM.LIS     INSTEP2@       QPGM.LIS       QYPGNOT.LIS
> APGNOT.LIS     INSTEP2.LOG    QPGNOT.LIS     YPGM.LIS

There are 12 areas that need a .LIS file from INSTEP2.  These are:

  AIPSUB APLSUB APLOOP APLGEN YGEN YSUB YNOT APLNOT QDEV QSUB QNOT QOOP

I don't see any .LIS files for them anywhere.  Did you delete them?

champion-18> head -15 INSTEP2.LOG

Probably not enough to judge

> INSTEP2   : Begins     Thu Aug  3 18:16:02 EDT 2000
> INSTEP2   : Programming environment variables don't appear to be defined.
> INSTEP2   : Type $CDNEW or $CDTST (whichever is appropriate)
> INSTEP2   : and execute INSTEP2 again.
> INSTEP2   : Aborts!    Thu Aug  3 18:16:02 EDT 2000

Ignore this part.

> so the question is:  what did I do wrong?

I'd need to likely see much more of INSTEP2.LOG (which is huge).  You
could send me the file, preferably gzipped and I *might* be able to tell
more about what went on (please don't send from mailtool; use pine or vm
or netscape or mutt; Sun's mailtool uses a non-standard "mime"
encapsulation that is hard to decode in most other mail user agents).

Alternately, look in $LIBR/*/SUBLIB; there should be 12 of these of
reasonably large sizes; they are archive libraries and can be listed with,
e.g. "ar tv $LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB | more".  If any are missing or empty,
then INSTEP2 did not run correctly.

I was searching for the previous correspondence on this problem, but
couldn't find much that helped me figure out what was going on.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory