[daip] aips/aips++

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Aug 25 16:12:06 EDT 2000

Hi Ed,

No, it's not a complete functional replacement yet.  For VLA data,
we're looking at something between 1.5 months and 1 year, depending
on your level of optimism or pessimism.  I personally lean toward
at least 6 months (i.e., the April 2001 release rather than the
October 2000 release).  For VLBA, it is an unspecified period, but
at least 6 months to a year beyond the VLA.

There are no more frozen releases of AIPS scheduled.  The last
frozen release was 15OCT99, which we are no longer distributing.
31DEC99 is continuously updated, and available from our ftp site.
An easy installation script for that is under development, and
nearly finished.  We strongly recommend 31DEC99, since that has
a lot of changes (e.g., data weighting schemes) available nowhere else.

jim