[daip] Aips Help!

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon Apr 17 15:10:03 EDT 2000

I'm reminded that one thing I forgot to mention was the absolutely
CRITICAL issue of byte order and floating point format.  Where did these
files come from, i.e. what were they written on originally: sun, dec,
convex, vax, other?

If they were written on a system that uses big-endian byte order (sun,
rs6000, hp-ux, sgi, convex) and IEEE floating point format, then you can
convert the files on similar hardware (AIPS architectures SUN3, SUN4, SOL,
SUL, SGI, IBM, HP, HP2).

If they were written on a little-endian system (dec ultrix mainly at that
time) they can be read on ALPHA, LINUX, DEC, SOL86, and AXLINUX
architectures.

If they were written on VAX/VMS, I'm afraid all bets are likely off.

				- Pat