[bananas] Re: RedHat 7.1

James Robnett jrobnett at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu May 3 17:24:19 EDT 2001

  I'm not sure if this is appropriate for bananas.  Feel free to edit.

  GCC/EGCS will almost certainly not be helping with this problem.
In October of last year they reiterated that 2.96 was a test branch
for the 3.0 version and that 2.95 was the stable branch.  They did
this because some Unix distributors were shipping with 2.96 (read
Redhat).

http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc-2.96.html

   Essentially I think we will have to make 2.95.x available on all
install bases (RH 7.1 for example) and wait for 3.x.   For those
systems which come with 2.95 (RH 6.2) this isn't a problem.  3.0 is
not  scheduled for release until later this year and probably won't be
bundled with any OS's until very late this year and probably more
likely until next year.  In any event I'd be leary of using it for at
least a year.

   For the NRAO I suggest we examine the feasibility of installing
RH7.1 and then making the 2.95 compiler available for builds.

   For non-NRAO sites I suggest we encourage users to not upgrade
to RH 7.1.  If they must upgrade for hardware or large file support reasons
we make sure they're aware that they will have to install a separate
2.95 compiler for AIPS builds.

James Robnett
ps:  My apologies for getting certain people's hopes up that the
2.96 release with 7.1 wouldn't have the same problems as the
version which came with 7.0.