[asac] Situation in Chile and Next Week's Meeting

Richard Hills rhills at alma.cl
Mon Mar 1 14:37:11 EST 2010

Dear all,

I am sure that everyone has heard about the earthquake.  Attached is a
message that is just going out the teams in the northern hemisphere,
which I thought I should pass on.  You will see that we are having to
suspend operations fir the rest of this week while our staff deal with
the aftermath.

It was a very dramatic event here in Santiago and we all got thoroughly
shaken up, but in general the damage is amazingly light.  I have nothing
but praise for Chilean building standards and the way that they are
enforced.  There is however enormous damage further south, the full
extent of which is only slowly being revealed.  I am glad to say that we
have heard that Neal Nagar is OK.  He is of course based in Concepción,
which is only ~100km from the epicenter.  I imagine that he must have
had a horrendous experience and is no doubt still dealing with the
consequences.

As far as next week's ASAC meeting in Tokyo is concerned it seems to me
that we should go ahead with this even though some people may not be
able to make it.  I think there were four of us planning to come from
Chile - Neil, Alison Peck, Al Wootten and myself.  We do not know when
the airport will reopen - at the moment it is not looking promising.  I
suppose that Neil will not make it and Al's travel plans are already
disrupted.  Our present thinking is that Alison should stay here in
Chile and to get things back up and running again.  I will certainly do
my very best to get to Tokyo.  Obviously people who are not able to get
there will contribute by video or telecon to the extent possible.

Best wishes
   Richard

Richard Hills                Phone: +56 2 467 6175
ALMA Project Scientist       Fax:   +56 2 467 6104
Av El Golf 40, Piso 18       Apmnt: +56 2 474 1642
Santiago, Chile              Mobile +56 97 608 1582