[asac] proposal review comments

Rob Ivison rji at roe.ac.uk
Tue Feb 2 07:19:08 EST 2010

> I would like to ask ASAC members to send your opinions/comments on
> the draft to this mailing list preferably before the next telecon
> especially for those who will not be able to participate it, and
> then we can discuss this issue at the telecon based on the
> information.

all -

here are some thoughts on the ALMA Proposal Review Process draft. i've
listed them in the order that i encountered the various issues in the
document, rather than by importance.

science categories: these appear sensible, both in number and scope,
though i couldn't help wondering which box high-redshift radio
galaxies might fall in? presumably "Cosmology and the high-redshift
Universe" rather than "Galaxies and galactic nuclei". a definition of
"high redshift" is all that is required (z>0.1?)

review panels: i can see that panels consisting of 9 members is
appealing from the point of view of regional representation. however,
in my experience members of panels comprising >6 people tend to assume
that other folk will do the hard work and find the important little
flaws. i would advise more, smaller panels (which is, apparently,
contrary to previous ASAC advice).

125 proposals per reviewer seems, to me, absurdly high.

i like the idea that panel members serve 3 seasons. the biggest
complaint about HST TACs is that the churn rate is too high. the
biggest complaint about UK TACs is that the churn rate is too low
(Chairs are often on panels for 6 years). i think the numbers here are
about right.

grading system: seems sensible, with lessons learnt from previous
weather-sensitive facilities.

review process: why two secondary assessors? reducing this to one
secondary assessor would be an easy way to significantly reduce the
overall burden on the assessors and thereby increase the quality of
the assessing.

it would help to write down explicitly whether a proposal that is
"borderline technically infeasible" can or cannot be "re-written" to
some degree by the panel. i don't care either way, so long as the rule
applies to everyone.

i would recommend that the science grades for each assessor are
normalised to a common mean and stdev, and that assessors are allowed
to give a null ranking if they feel it is appropriate for whatever
reason.

i didn't get a clear view from the document about how the
recommendations of the different review panels will be merged. we
should not ring-fence time for themes, so allocations based on the
number of panels or the over-subscription rate are to be avoided. i
would suggest that the APRC must explore a certain number of proposals
near the A/B, B/C, C/D borderlines of each panel and form a conclusion
re: their relative merits.

this appears to be weakest part of the document. it ducks for cover
when faced with the thorny issue of how to avoid ring-fencing time for
themes.

the issue of how time (and good weather) is to be shared accurately
between regions is handled simply and straightforwardly.

the formulae for sharing time amongst co-Is appears to be sensible.

i am not happy with the 5% cap on open skies, nor about the idea that
NA should pick up the bill if this is exceeded. i do not believe that
a cap should be discussed in the document, or that one is justified.
however, i am prepared to accept that no-one will give a stuff about
what i think on this issue ;-)

cheers,

Rob