[asac] URGENT! ASAC face-to-fae meeting planning

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 17 14:10:44 EDT 2007

 Folks,

 As mentioned in the Wednesday telecon, the ALMA Board has charges to which
 it would like the ASAC to respond in a presentation at its 30-31 October
 meeting in Santiago. Such a schedule requires rapid organization, by the
 project scientists to provide you with supplementary information, and on
 your part, to ready a response.  Activities in September already, for
 example the Project-wide external review 10-12 September, and the
 Community Day in Garching on 3 September and following workshop, limit
 options.  I have attempted to put some of the remaining options on a wiki
 at:
 https://wikio.nrao.edu/bin/view/ALMA/FtfDates
 Please visit this at your earliest opportunity to indicate your
 availability.  The Board will need to concur with your decision on when to
 meet at its telecon on 26 July.  The next ASAC telecon will occur on 1
 August.

 I note that the ANASAC will be meeting face-to-face on 17 August and the ESO
 Community day will occur on 3 September; I'm uncertain on the EASAC
 schedule.  The ASAC members attending these meetings could consider
 addressing the charges at those meetings, with a general meeting to mold
 the response occurring via telecon on a more convenient schedule; it is
 not required that the ASAC meet face-to-face.  There will be a visit to
 the site after the external review for reviewers; it may be possible to
 include ASAC members who wish to visit the site if the meeting were held
 in Chile 15-16 September.

 In a nutshell (formal document not yet received) the Charges will be:
 1- Software status for early science. review recommendations of recent
 software review and schedule

 2- Revisit charge from Apr2007 on correlator requirements. Focus on Early
 science, which modes enable majority of science? What other capabilities
 are important?

 3- Review calibration plan in conjunction with AIV and CSV activities.

 Clear skies,
 Al