[asac] (no subject)

Leonardo Testi lt at arcetri.astro.it
Mon Jul 10 06:03:15 EDT 2006

Hi all,
    (John, I seem to have lost the list of invitees, please forward
this info along with the invitation or just resend me the names)
    as I mentioned at the telecon, it is difficult to find rooms in
Florence for the weekend of Sep 16/17. I have pre-reserved a number
of rooms in the following Hotels. All these are very close to the
location of the conference center where I am trying to book a room
for us (few min walking).

You need to contact the Hotels directly and define the dates of your
stay, I have pre-booked the rooms for the nights 15-16-17. Remember
to mention that you are from the ALMA meeting group.

Hotel Classic - has parking, very few rooms available
tel +39055229351   fax. +39055229353
www.classichotel.it

Hotel Annalena
tel +39055222402    fax. +39055222403
www.hotelannalena.it

Hotel Boboli
tel. 0552298645     fax +390552337169
www.hotelboboli.com

I am also looking for other possibilities and hope to send more
options in a few days. The conference center may have a small number
of rooms available for the nights 15-16 and some more for 16 only, so
if you are planning to leave on sunday evening this is a good
possibility. Please let me know if this may work for you.

Traveling info.
If you cannot find a convenient connection to Florence, I mentioned a
few weeks ago that one possibility could be to fly to Pisa. Within
Pisa airport there is a train station (Pisa Aeroporto) which allows a
connection to Florence main  station (Firenze S.M.N.). Sometimes the
connection is direct, sometimes a change in Pisa Centrale is needed.
Direct trains from Pisa Aeroporto to Firenze S.M.N. on Sept 15 are
at: 10:42, 11:43, 12:43, 17:53, 18:43, 19:53. You can check the
complete timetable at: http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html
(be sure to enter the exact station names as above).

Touristic info.
Many state museums will close on MONDAY, e.g. the Galleria degli
Uffizi. If enough people are interested, we can try to organize a
visit to the Uffizi and the Corridoio Vasariano on Sunday afternoon.
The Corridoio Vasariano is a long passage that was used to link the
Medici Palace (Palazzo Pitti in oltrarno) with Palazzo Vecchio and
the Uffizi (the government offices). It runs over the Old Bridge and
offers a very unusual view of Florence. The Museum of history of
science, which holds an interesting Astronomical collection with some
Galileo's instruments, is closed on Sunday.

If you need expensive shoes, purses or clothes, you will certainly
find a place to spend your money, apparently it is impossible to buy
anything else in the center of Florence, perhaps we are supposed to
even start eating these for breakfast...

Leonardo