[asac] Telecon 1500 UT 2006 July 5

Kawabe Ryohei kawabe at nro.nao.ac.jp
Wed Jul 5 07:03:29 EDT 2006

Dear all,

 It will be very difficult for me and Baltasar
 to attend the telecon tonight, because we will have a meeting
 with Mitsubishi at the pre-assembling site (Kurashiki in Okayama Pref.) of
the ACA 12 m antenna tomorrow. I am very sorry for that.

 The following is the recent update of ALMA-J activity.

1. Finally, the director of NINS (National Institute of Natural
 Sciences) signed the ALMA agreement yesterday! This is a historical
milestone for ALMA; the trilateral ALMA gets stated!

2. We submitted ALMA-J 2007 budget request for the operation of
 ALMA and EA ARC to MEXT on June 22, with the ramp-up cost of operation
 during construction. The negotiation with MEXT will start soon.
I am now fully involved in the work for the budget request as the acting EA
ARC manager.

3. The production of ACA 12m antennas (new three) and the prototype of ACA
correlator is going, but a little bit delayed. ALMA-J science team will join
the commissioning/test of the antennas and prototype in Japan from Oct. or
Nov. this year.

4. Regarding the combined array, intensive simulations for that wer
performed by Shige and Daisuke. They are now summarizing the results.
The results are clear and have an impact on what observing mode should be
 taken for the 12m array and ACA. We will circulate the draft reports on
that until the end of this month.

5. We are discussing with ACA correlator team on the LO offset/180 deg.phase
SW (also, 90 phase SW) issue. We will report on what we can do with ACA
correlator and also science impact on sub-mm observations with band-9 and 10
etc.

6. By following-up the AIVC f2f meeting in Santiago, we are developing
ALMA-J CSV and ARC staffing plan. Baltasar will contact AL and Robert on
this issue.

7. I communicated with Massimo and EU and NA ARC manager on the operation
plan recently. We will have f2f meeting on ALMA operation in Garching on
July 21/22 to discuss staffing plan, hiring schedule of staff, and
unresolved important issues etc.  The integrated operation plan of BL plan
and ACA plan will be prepared until the end of September.

8. Regarding ACA configuration, the document on the ACA location
 and configuration is now in the DAR process. I approve this and
 Al and Tom's responses to this document are important.

9. We are now developing ACA ancillary calibration device plan to start the
 discussion with site-IPT and Computing IPT on ICDs. The securing the
location for the devices is the most important issue, because the ACA
antenna site is very crowded. The second is ICD for data acquisition.
I heard from Ken Tatematsu (Leader of ALMA-J computing team) that there is
no ICD on that. I am wondering how we should do. PSs need to talk on this.

10. To follow the approval of the ALMA Scientific Specifications and
 Requirments doc by the board, we are preparing the final version of
ACA Scientific Specs and Reqs. Comments from ASAC are very welcome.
The development of ACA Calibration Specs and Reqs is also in the
 final phase.

I might be missing something important, but it is time to leave my
 office (This week, our ALMA-J science team move to a temporal building
 because the current building is very old and refurbished this year. The
 EA ARC space will be prepared after the refurbishment)

Regards,

Ryohei