[asac]Charge 4

Peter Schilke schilke at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Tue Sep 7 05:57:27 EDT 2004

Dear ASAC members,

    we were all supposed to make a summary of the comments and ideas on
the charges we received and distribute it before the telecon, and Phil
and me were supposed to do Charge 4, demonstration science.  My summary
is very easy, since I haven't received any input, but I'd like at least
to summarize where we stand.  I'm leaving to Chile today and won't be
able to process any more input before the telecon.

    The charge is about how to select sources for demonstration science
and how to facilitate involvement of a broader community.

    In the May 2004 report, where we brought up the idea, we diveded
demonstration science into two categories:

- Public demonstation images: to be selected by bodies such as science
advisory committees, project scientists etc.  These should be pretty
images which would look well in newspapers, but do not need to have any
new scientific content, although it wouldn't hurt.

- Science demonstation projects: to demonstate the capabilities of ALMA
to a broader community.  The idea then was that the data would become
public immediately, and that they should be defined by an open call for
ideas - not proposals.

We also thought it would be good to coordinate these with programs from
other facilities.  While in principle the board liked this, they warned
against putting too much emphasis on it - this is to demonstrate ALMA,
after all.  Then, there still are the DRSP projects.

I still like the concepts we put into the May report.  It might be
useful to accompany this "call for ideas" with workshops, before, to
present the capabilities ALMA is going to have, and after, to help with
data reduction.  These workshops should be aimed at a very broad
audience.  I didn't attend the Spitzer workshops, but it would probably
be worth looking into the experiences made there.

    Talk to you at the telecon,

             Peter

--
Dr. Peter Schilke               Max-Planck-Institut f"ur Radioastronomie
Auf dem H"ugel 69               D-53121 Bonn                     Germany
mailto:schilke at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de