[asac][almanews] ALMA Memo 475 Released

Stacy Oliver soliver at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 29 18:27:53 EDT 2003

ALMA MEMO #475

Observing Stars & Extrasolar Planetary Systems with ALMA

Bryan Butler, Alwyn Wootten, & Bob Brown
National Radio Astronomy Observatory

2003-09-16

We address in this memo the ability of ALMA to observe stars and
extrasolar planetary systems (in various stages of formation). The
observation of extrasolar planetary systems is thought to be one of the
most important science drivers for ALMA. As such, we should have some
idea of what the capabilities might be in this regard. In addition, ALMA
will be the first instrument which will be able to detect, monitor, and
even image (for the largest) a very large number of "regular" stars at
wavelengths longer than the mid-IR. Again, we should have some idea of
what our capabilities might be in this area. This was originally written
up for a poster contributed to Symposium 202 at the IAU GA in 2000 in
Manchester, and a shortened version was submitted to the proceedings of
that symposium (Penny et al., unpublished to date).

View a pdf version of ALMA Memo #475.
http://www.alma.nrao.edu/memos/html-memos/alma475/memo475.pdf