[asac]Forwarded Email from Masato Ishiguro

Janet Bauer jbauer at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 4 10:51:52 EDT 2003

Dear Massimo, Dick, Marc, and Richard,

cc: Janet Bauer

I forward the message on ALMA-J budget from Norio Kaifu.

We ALMA-J project members were very excited when we received the

announcement from MEXT.   We appreciate very much your continuous

encouragement and cooperation.

Janet:

Would you please forward this e-mail to ASAC members?

Masato

> Dear ALMA Board Members,

> I am pleased to inform ALMA Board Members that MEXT has formally

> announced that the ALMA-J construction budget has been included in the

> FY2004 Budget request submitted to the Ministry of Finance at the end

> of August.

> The ALMA budget request for eight years is 25.6 Billion Yen (217.3 M$,

1$=117.8

> Yen) and that for FY2004 is 1.081 Billion Yen (9.18 M$,1$=117.8 Yen).

> The above budget does not include personnel costs of ALMA-J staff and

other

> resources contributed by NAOJ.   The total resource for ALMA-J

construction in

> eight years is expected to be about 260 M$.

> There might be a small adjustment before the final approval by the

Government,

> but this is certainly the entrance to ALMA in Japan and is a firm step

> forward to our formal participation.

> I thank you all for your cooperation which has been greatly helpful

> for us

> achieve this step, and we would appreciate your continuous support

> toward

the

> full participation of Japan in this unprecedented project.

> With best regards,

> Norio Kaifu

> Director General of NAOJ

Janet Bauer

ALMA Project Secretary

NRAO - ALMA North American Project Office

2496 Old Ivy Road, Suite 226

Charlottesville, VA 22903

434.296.0296      (phone)

434.296.0255      (fax)