[asac]Re: Draft of ASAC Report: section on RSC

Stephane Guilloteau guillote at iram.fr
Wed Apr 3 08:09:37 EST 2002

Dear Ken,

    I agree with your conclusion, i.e. that a local implementation is likely
to be
much faster than just a portal to the archive. However, I believe we should
leave
the issue opened, and still state that the choice between a "physical copy
or
a link is a matter of LOCAL implementation".  Some RSC(s) may elect to have
a physical copy, other(s) to have just a link. This could be a choice of the
respective user communities.
    Admittedly, if you can afford it, a physical copy probably offers a
better solution to
a strongly concentrated community like in Japan. In Europe, the situation is
different,
and it is yet another case in North America where networks are much more
powerful.

        Stephane