[asac] Enhanced sciences with ACA?

Seiichi Sakamoto seiichi at nro.nao.ac.jp
Mon Sep 17 23:01:25 EDT 2001

Dear ASAC members:

In the Santiago face-to-face meeting, relatively high priority was
assigned to ACA based on rather vague feeling.  This is potentially
of severe concern to ALMA, because the full scope of the enhancement
may be threatened if we fail to present strong science cases for
ALMA+SD+ACA that cannot be realized with ALMA+SD.  Here I summarize
some of my comments/concerns and TBDs on the science cases for ACA
in the following.  I hope this helps a bit to finalize the ASAC
report.  Any comments and corrections are welcome.

(1) General comments/concerns:
- Mass and motion of the objects are two of the most important
  parameters in observational astrophysics.  How ACA is related to
  these parameters?  Accurate imaging does not mean robust extraction
  of mass distribution.  What is the importance of extremely high
  fidelity images probed by molecules other than molecular hydrogen?
- What fraction of ALMA users really takes advantages of the extremely
  high fidelity of ALMA+SD+ACA?  Is it of higher priority than to
  ensure routine high fidelity imaging with ALMA+SD to all users?
- How easily will we lose the gain achieved with ACA by degrading the
  SD observations or by inappropriate deconvolution algorisms?

(2) Line ratios:
- In multi-line analyses, ambiguity of chemical abundances, complexity
  of the objects, unmatched synthesized beams, inhomogeneity of
  physical conditions in the synthesized beam, and robustness of the
  model used (e.g., LVG) often limit the robustness of conclusions.
  We should evaluate what level of fidelity is necessary/sufficient
  for this kind of analyses, and what level of fidelity can be
  achieved for realistic cases (noise for realistic integration times
  and source strengths).
- We should explain why extremely high fidelity is preferred rather
  than number of bands (or number of observable lines) that also
  enhances ability of multi-line observations.

(3) Arm-to-interarm contrast:
- Fidelity of images at extremely high level may not be the limiting
  factor that controls conclusions.  The arms of spiral galaxies are
  not always well-defined, and identification of arms may limit the
  robustness.  The situation becomes more difficult for flocculent
  galaxies.  We should examine if different researchers independently
  obtain consistent value of the arm-to-interarm contrast with sample
  images to the accuracy of current interest.
- Uncertainty due to ambiguous luminosity-mass conversion may also
  play a major role.

(4) Mass spectrum of clouds and cores:
- Ken Tatematsu's analysis at the face-to-face meeting clearly
  demonstrated that ALMA+SD already realizes enough fidelity for this
  purpose.  In realistic cases, complexity of the objects (cloud/clump
  overlapping, irregular structure, etc.) and robustness of simple
  finding algorisms (e.g., CLUMPFIND) may limit the results.
- Uncertainty due to ambiguous luminosity-mass conversion may also
  play a role.
- We should find other cases in which extremely high fidelity is
  needed.

(5) Polarization:
- Polarization study seems among which ACA might play a role.  We need
  examples that clearly demonstrate this.  We should be sure that ACA
  supports polarization capability under severe budgetary constraints
  if we are to stress this science case.

(6) Submillimeter observations:
- Smaller diameter of ACA antenna may be suitable for submillimeter
  observations.  However, current situation suggests that
  submillimeter receivers that enable submillimeter observations may
  be competitive with ACA.  We should justify why we prefer ACA rather
  than Band 8 if we are to stress this science case.
- If we are to stress this science case, optimization of the array
  diameter, number of antenna, and configuration may be needed,
  because the current optimization is based on imaging capability.

With best,

Seiichi

Seiichi Sakamoto
ALMA-Japan Project Office
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan
Osawa, Mitaka, Tokyo 181-8588, Japan
phone:  +81-422-34-3843
fax:    +81-422-34-3764
e-mail: seiichi at nro.nao.ac.jp