[asac] draft ASAC recommendations

Richard Crutcher crutcher at astro.uiuc.edu
Mon May 21 11:18:16 EDT 2001

Ewine,

I think that the initial paragraph of the ASAC recommendations document is
prejudicial to the Atacama Compact Array and therefore strongly object to
it. The current statement is that "increased cost estimates ... currently
preclude the implementation of the Atacama Compact Array." The fact is that
increased cost estimates may preclude the implementation of the full ALMA
plan recommended by the ASAC (64 12-m antennas, 5+ receiver bands, enhanced
correlator, ACA), not specifically the ACA. I realize that Stephane
Guilloteau's summary of the Paris meeting makes the statement that the ACA
may be precluded, but that is HIS conclusion, reflecting his own priorities
among possible cuts that may become necessary. I do not think OUR
recommendations should start by apparently accepting his
conclusion/recommendation, particularly since the discussion during the ASAC
telecon was still strongly supportive of the ACA. I therefore suggest that
the words:
"which currently preclude the implementation of the Atacama Compact Array"
be replaced by "which currently would not allow all ASAC recommendations to
be implemented". Regardless of how other members of the ASAC feel about the
ACA, I would hope that everyone would agree that we should not issue
statements prejudicial to any component of ALMA until the ASAC has in fact
reached a conclusion.

Dick
Richard M. Crutcher
Professor & Chair, Astronomy Department