[asac] README-ASAC report

Neal J. Evans II nje at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Mar 21 11:20:32 EST 2000

Dear Colleagues,

First, many thanks to everyone who delivered their sections on time.
I was delighted to see that they were in good form, requiring a minimum
of editing. I have mostly assembled them, smoothed out a few things, and
extracted some summary recommendations. Taking editorial privilege, I converted
English into American; we can alternate for future reports...
Some work still needs to be done to make things consistent and avoid
repetition, and I will appreciate your comments on that.

The most important things for you to check are these.
1. The summary recommendations. I tried to make these brief and hit the main
points, with reference back to the sections for the full recs. The choice of
these is important, so please tell me if crucial points are missing from
the summary.

2. The representatives to the Working Groups (Appendix B). In consultation with
Karl, I assigned our liaison members. These mostly follow the pattern of who
worked on which section of the report, with some adjustments. If you are
unhappy with your "assignment", feel free to complain. Our new chairman
can adjudicate :-)

Texnicalities:
1. The file uses the latest AAS style files, including LaTex2e.
If your institution has not upgraded to this, you can use the older Latex
by uncommenting the first line and commenting the second line.

2. You will need to run latex at least twice to get all the references to
sections correct.

3. Appendices B-G are not included since you already have them. They will
be included in the final report. If anyone has the latex source file for
Carlstrom's report, I would appreciate getting it. I only have the postscript
and John is out of town.

4. You can send detailed comments by extracting pieces of the text and making
changes or by sending the whole file back with embedded comments and changes
marked in some way that you tell me (e.g., including your initials in
parentheses just before the change).

5. Comments received by next Sunday, March 26, will be incorporated in the final
version, which I will deliver to the project scientists as a latex file on
March 29.

Thanks again,
Neal