[alma-config] (no subject)

Bryan Butler bbutler at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 7 10:22:46 EDT 2005

dan briggs' thesis (and the resultant "robust" weighting) does exactly
this - try to get a "better" beam by reweighting the data.  the power of
that method is that it reduced the specification to a single parameter,
the "robustness", making it easy to implement, test, and understand (by
the astronomers).  in practice, when CLEANing extended structure with
VLA observations (which i do alot! :), it is almost always better to pay
a ~5% penalty in noise to get the subsequent improvement in dirty beam
(you can get significant reduction in the max sidelobe) - better maps
result.

there is an old VLA memo which probably not very many folks have seen:
Sault, R., The Weighting of Visibility Data, VLA Scientific Memo 154,
1984, which is an early description of these things.  i'm sure there
were earlier discussions (bob's memo has a few references which i didn't
track down).  i can send or scan a copy of that memo to anyone that is
interested.

we're always re-inventing things, which is usually fine because it often
leads to new breakthroughs, or at least increased understanding on the
part of those doing the re-inventing.

	-bryan