[alma-config]distance to pipeline

Eduardo Hardy ehardy at nrao.edu
Mon May 13 15:44:25 EDT 2002

The written agreement between NRAO and GasAtacama does not specify per
se a buffer zone but is designed so that we could have a 400 to 500 m
buffer, at our request. It simply specifies how much we and them have to
move away from the original positions in order not to interfere with
each other. The notion of a buffer appears in the minutes of the
negotiations conducted in Santiago in February 1998.

In principle (but see below), and since we were the ones requesting for
the buffer, I foresee no problem in getting closer to the pipeline, but
respecting of course the Chilean legal protection band 15 m wide
centered on the pipeline. I don't expect GasAtacama to object to this,
but we need to inform them in advance which I would do as soon as we
have a concrete proposal for the configuration.

Please be aware that we might require a certain minimum distance to
assure cathodic protection.

I have requested our lawyers to take a second look at our agreement and
advise me. I'm also requesting ESO (APEX) and the ASTE project to keep
us informed of any exchanges with GasAtacama.

Eduardo