[alma-config]Re: [mmaimcal]Memo 428

Stephane Guilloteau guillote at iram.fr
Tue Jul 2 04:39:25 EDT 2002

Be carefull

    - we cannot (yet) simply assume the ACA will be build
    - however, we (astronomers) cannot continue dreaming to build whatever
we wish for ALMA.

We have a budget constraint, and within the current uncertainties, saving 1
M$ or so on 25 pads
would be more than welcome. I would rather re-affect that 1M$ to a better
calibration system. In that
area, we have some unfunded items which would be useful, such as an
automated FTS and its associated
software. This would be useful for most projects, while the 25 pads for an
elongated N/S compact configuration
are at best only useful for 5 % of the projects.

Using the inner "spiral" pads and some re-weighting scheme is not optimal
when considering fixed configurations, but if we add up the overhead time
and associated losses due to reconfiguring to such special configuration,
this becomes less obvious.

Given the imaging results shown by Mel Wright, I would strongly argue
AGAINST the added complexity
of the "elongated compact" configuration.

And remember: the configuration design IS URGENT.

The current feeling of most members in the ALMA Management Advisory
Committee is that we will need some descoping of the project, and these
people certainly have a lot of expertise on large projects. Having to
descope a receiver band would be disastrous. So we have to be careful in all
items which have a small influence of the overall performance of ALMA, but
result in some quantifiable cost savings..

        Stephane