[alma-config] My HP address and etc.

Min S. Yun myun at bonito.astro.umass.edu
Wed Jan 3 13:38:47 EST 2001

I suspect Morita-san's comment on the short spacing should be
interpreted only in the sense of understanding the imaging
defects in the existing simulations.  With a finite number of
antennas, we are always forced to make trade-offs, and the
trade-offs made in the current double-ring/donut array is
preserving the self-similarity.  My own thinking in not allowing
for more short baselines for the "A" and "B" arrays is that
given the limited number of antennas available, the hole in
the uv-coverage is best covered by multi-configuration
observations rather than arbitrarily foregoing the underlying
design concept.  This is the same idea as Leonia's point
that you have to trade off resolution and uv-coverage.
I would like to remind people that you have to keep in mind
some of these fundamental differences between these and
Conway designs when comparing their imaging performance.
We can always debate the merit of filling the central hole
in the uv-coverage by adding snapshot data from the compact
configuration (ACA?).  I happened to believe that devoting
a small number of antennas to stretch the spatial dynamic
range of an array is a poor solution.

				-- Min