[alma-config] pad and transporter requirements

John Conway jconway at oso.chalmers.se
Mon Mar 6 10:57:32 EST 2000

> By the way, at the SKA meeting in Arecibo, someone said:
> "You can throw a handful of rice on the overhead projector and
> come up with an antenna configuration with excellent (u,v) coverage."
>
> 	-M

Tony Beasley made a similar comment to me, he was a bit fed up of
seeing all these configuration memos. He said the next time
he visited the ALMA site he would take a bucket of golf-balls
and his driving iron, annd pads would be placed where
the balls landed. It turns out that such a completely
random gold-ball array is not that good. In memo
260 I looked at the uv coverage from 64 antennas placed with
random azimuth and 1/r^2 probability density distribution,
and the uv coverage  wasnt too hot. If you start however with
a fairly smooth regular distribution (many rings, nested triangles,
spirals whatever ) and then perturb it randomly  though you do
get pretty good coverage.

  John.