[alma-config] Re: CONFI

John Conway jconway at oso.chalmers.se
Mon Mar 6 10:13:17 EST 2000

Hi Leonia,

  Let me know how I get the updated CONFI code, I'd like
to try it.

Whateveer the array 'style', rings, spirals,  whatever
ultimately it might be interesting to optimise with both
beam metrics and uv metrics (a la Fomalont) or a mixture.
These metrics should also probably also force some degree
of natural uv taper and forcing of short  baselines, since from
imaging simulations these both seem to be  desirable
properties,

I guess  one way of  looking at minismising far sidelobes
in CONFI is that it is  producing uv coverages  which don't have
periodicities  (such periodicites are obvioulsy bad
because these then allow into the final image  false unseen
distributions which  correspond to compact structure). As you alluded
to in  the telecon if one uses some over simple  uv metric like
fraction of uv cells sampled then you could imagine
getting uv  coverages with the same score in the uv metric but
one of the two having much higher dirty beam sidelobes. Making the
uv metric more complex can obviously mitigate this problem
but it seems natural that if  one  is trying to reduce periodicties
in the uv  coverage  then looking at the Fourier transform of this
uv coverage (i.e dirty beam) would be  a natural thing to do(!).
The other practical advantage of the sidelobe minimisation is
that you have  devised an efficent optimisation algorithm.
Whether a dirty beam minimisation is the only/best  thing one should
aim for is a different question. I'm sure we will talk a lot about
metrics again in Tuscon, my position is pragmatic, we can write down
half a dozen properties of the uv coverage/beam that are
desirable, some of them hard to have simultaneously, deciding the
balance between these different properties needs some imaging
simulations as a 'reality check'.

As far as running the new CONFI here we don't have a midnight job or
anything like that here (and I understand there will be no more
offcial classic AIPS releases), could you put the .FOR
code on an anoymous site somewhere? In short whats the
best way to get it?

 Cheers
  John.

P.S Where can I get the ASCII version of the masks?
I had a quick look at Bryans web page but I didn't see
it there yet.