[alma-config] Whats up.

Min Yun myun at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Jul 5 11:26:52 EDT 2000

Mark,

The current E-array is a compromise between the fully packed array
and something less compact which gives you a resolution of 1" at
345 GHz.  The original proposal by Stephane was to achieve 1"
resolution -- something comparable to a typical optical image --
at 230 GHz, but I thought it would compromise the surface brightness
sensitivity too much.  This was discussed at a working meeting in
Toronto and the participants generally seemed to favor this general idea.
Packing the array further would also make the access to the inner
antennas difficult.  The current "E" configuration design includes
10% N-S elongation and access to inner antennas incorporated.  I
welcome anyone to further optimize this array if all of the above
requirements can be met.

					-- Min