[alma-config] a question about configuration with complete UV coverage

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Sat Feb 5 20:20:22 EST 2000

Hi Dave,

I have read your ALMA memo #270 "ALMA configurations with complete UV coverage".
Of course the idea of configurations with complete UV coverage is very
attractive. At the same time I see some contradiction with a simmulation
carried out by me  comparing uniform ring array with a configuration
having minimum side lobes (my memo #247).
My simmulation was carried out for snapshot experiment without
mosaic technick.

The simmulation shows the obvious advantage of the array with minimum sidelobes
under the uniform ring array for the all three source model considered
in the memo. At the same time the uniform ring array can be considered
as a configuration with complete UV coverage for  snapshot observation
if the diameter of the ring is small enough.

I gess the demonstrated disadvantage of the uniform ring array is
explained by the fact that I did not use mosaic technick in my simmulation.
Is it right explanation?

But still this example shoes that a configuration with complete UV coverage
may be not optimum if observation does not use mosaic.

Now the question to the ALMA people:

Will all ALMA's observations use mosaick?

Thanks

Leonia