[alma-config] Re: ALMA configurations

Min Yun myun at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Feb 4 17:09:34 EST 2000

Hi Dave,

I personally think the uv cell filling factor is an important
metric.  Mark Holdaway has discussed in some of his memos, and
there is a magic number of >= 40% being a good lower limit.
I have heard several arguments against it, mainly along the line of
the metric should operate on the final image.  Your arguement for
the full UV coverage is fundamentally sound -- the gaps will manifest
themselves in the final image in some non-trivial way.  This is
one single point always brought up in the imaging defect lecture
given by Ron Ekers.  A "complete" uv-coverage in my opinion is
also a more concrete goal than all the qualitative discussions of
"interpolations" or "extrapolations" involved in the imaging process.
I hope you will keep bringing this point up for the group.

I know you are busy, but I value opinion -- you are one of the
best sanity test persons I know.  Thanks.

					-- Min