[alma-config] Difference images TNG

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Dec 7 11:28:14 EST 2000

I may be jumping the gun here, but based on a visual inspection of the
difference images, it appears that the spiral configurations win in most
cases.  We obviously need to go through the process of evaluation to
quantify this. Ideally, we would have a second round of work, where we try
to understand why things are bad and work on ways to improve them. So, it
seems that using a deconvolution mask or using a default image for Mars
would be the sorts of things you do in round two.  Someone (Bryan?)
pointed out that the masks are not known a prior, and need to be set
either automatically (possibility of disaster!), by an expert user, or a
combination of the two, and may need to be adjusted iteratively.  Of
course, this is exactly the problem the imaging pipeline people will find
themselves in.  Exept for the simplest of cases, automatic mask generation
is probably outside the scope of this work.

So, what do we do?  Run with the current results, or go another level
in sophistication?

Another dimension which we have said we would address is error modeling.
What is the status of work in that dimension?

	-Mark