[alma-config] Initial CLEANed image, and parameters used

Steven steven at heddle97.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 10:19:42 EDT 2000

An initial run of CLEAN has been performed on the KCM51_4+25B7 image, and
the results are shown on the pages indexed below in contour and greyscale
form.

http://stevenheddle.co.uk/ALMA/SIL/CLtrial/node1.html

The dirty image as already presented is shown on the left and the CLEAN
image shown on the right. The parameters used in IMAGR are listed
immediately below, with main points including gain 0.1, number of iterations
20000, and CLEAN box equal to the image size as displayed. which in effect
means that the A array has a 1024x1024 CLEAN box, and for the C and E arrays
the box size scales as the inverse of the pixel scale.

With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been better to have presented
initial results for the A arrays, and I will work on CLEANing an image for
each member of the SIL for imaging using an A array as the next step and
presenting these results prior to running the Big Batch Job. However I would
be grateful if you could still examine the AIPS parameters used (listed on
the pages indexed above) to see if they are both appropriate and agreeable.

As regards the simulations to date, the 12000 odd lines of the batch file
used to perform this is attached as a zip file, if anyone wishes to see
exactly what has been done. The unknown factor referenced there is the
nuvco3mm parameter file which I use to initialise everything to a known
state. This file contains the default parameters of a new, clean AIPS
installation, modified as follows:

INFILE '   M51'
OUTNAME ' '
OUTCLASS ' '
OUTSEQ 0
OUTDISK 0
DOTV -1
NMAPS 0
SMODEL 0
DPARM(5)=1
DPARM(6)=4
FUNCTYPE 'LN'
INNAME ' '
INCLASS 'NUVCO'
QUAL -1
SELBAND 1000
SELFREQ 2.99793E+05
FREQID -1
DOCALIB -1
DOPOL -1
BLVER -1
FLAGVER -1
DOBAND -1
BPVER -1
STOKES ' '
BCHAN 1
ECHAN 1
CHINC 1
BIF 1
EIF 1
SMOOTH 0
UVRANGE 0
UVTAPER 0
CPARM(1)=12
BADDISK=2
CELLSIZE(1)=0.03
CELLSIZE(2)=0.03
CMETHOD 'DFT'
FACTOR 0
APARM(6)=0
APARM(8)=1
APARM(9)=1
APARM(10)=0.05
BPARM 0
CPARM(1)=12
NFIELD 1
GUARD(1)=-1
GUARD(2)=-2
UVBXFN 1
XTYPE 5
YTYPE 5
IMSIZE(*,1)=1024,1024
FLDSIZE(*,1)=1014,1014
UVWTFN 'NO'
NITER 0
GAIN 0.25
MINPATCH 51
RASHIFT(1)=0
DECSHIFT(1)=0
NBOXE(1)=1
WIN(*,1,1)=6,6,1019,1019
UVWTFN 'NA'
ROBUST 5
(NUVCO, referenced here and in the batch file, is simply UVCON in the
15APR99 installation upgraded to be the same as the 15OCT99 version)

Final point is that when running the CLEANing, thousands of errors about the
header not containing pointing informations are flagged, which doesn't seen
to affect the progress of the CLEANing, but did contribute to a message file
of 4.7 million lines which was clogging things up . This did concern me for
running the full 180 CLEANs (rather than the 5 attempts so far), but I guess
I can slip a CLRMSG into the CLEANing  batch file every few maps.

Are the dirty maps etc. already posted OK? It seems to have gone very quiet
on the mailing list.

Cheers,
    Steven.