[alma-config] simulated imaging test

John Conway jconway at ebur.oso.chalmers.se
Tue Aug 1 04:27:50 EDT 2000

Hi Min et al ,

OK well lets go ahead with the approach you have adopted and see what
happens.

I'm afraid my brain must have been still partly on holiday yesterday.
I agree we don't want to try any simulations of sources bigger than
the beam.  This means in the case of the input Cygnus A image that
there is no room to have bigger versions for smaller arrays, the original
image field is already 10" square (and beam FWHM at 345GHz is  about 15" I
guess).  For the smaller test images (eg protoplanatary disk) in which
the A-Array version of the test model is significantly smaller than the
primary beam then there perhaps would be an argument for using somewhat
larger versions for the C-array tests, to have almost as complex test
sources... but .. OK for now its simpler to try fixed size model images
and see what happens.

My concern I guess is that the approach adopted gives too much weight
to A-array, because in the test suite these will have the most complex
images in terms of filled beam areas which is the opposite of what
will happen in reality. We have to watch this doesn't happen. It may
be that the C-array tests are not a good proxy for B and D array,
maybe we should therefore conduct B abd D array tests as well. B,C and
D are the main arrays in which the two designs differ most in their
properties and this is why tests in these arrays are most important.
Once an automatic script is doing the simulations then
perhaps it would be quite easy to do simulations for all arrays.

   John.

P.S I see that the +25 dec simulation on Simons page used the
pure C-array, I think we should consider doing some hybrid array
BnC  simulations.

P.P.S On  Simons page it might be useful to have the uv coverage
plots have the  same scale for both the 'K' and 'C' designs.