[evlatests] Circularly polarized reflected lunar emission

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 13 19:02:22 EST 2023

Our lunar observations often show reflected terrestrial RFI at certain
times and frequencies.

The data taken November 4 shows quite a spectacular example of this.
I've looked, on a single ten-minute scan, for reflected circularly
polarized emission in the frequency bands:  288 -- 352 MHz, and 384 --
448 MHz.  The channelwidth was 1 MHz.

Three channels showed remarkably strong emission (at about 1 Jy level):

437, 438, and 439 MHz.  No other frequencies showed anything. The
typical rms noise is about 20 mJy.

This is not local RFI -- it has to originate 'somewhere on earth'.
Although I haven't yet checked every scan, the evidence strongly
suggests it is on most of the time.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Rick