[evlatests] P-band dipole orientations

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 17 12:59:37 EDT 2023

In order to check the many changes Eric has implemented in AIPS to
better handle linearly polarized antennas, I requested, and was given,
an 8-hour observation of the Moon, at P-band, last December.

The resulting images are very good.  The changes Eric has implemented
now permit application of ionospheric Faraday rotations -- these do
indeed correct (actually, slightly overcorrect) the ionospheric RM
rotation.

The calibration of the data also provide us the dipole position angle
deviations w.r.t. the reference antenna dipole.  For this work, I used
ea24.  Following is a table of dipole misorientations (all w.r.t.
ea24).  Accuracy is about 0.5 degrees.

Antenna     Rotation angle (deg)

ea01        +3

ea02    -1

ea03    +6

ea04     +6

ea05    -1

ea06    +1

ea07    -4

ea09    +2

ea10    -3

ea11    -5

ea13    -1

ea14    -6

ea15    +1

ea16    -2.5

ea17    -3

ea18    +1.5

ea19    +3

ea20    +3

ea21    -2.5

ea22    +4.5

ea23    -1

ea25    -6 -- there is strong coupling, not due to rotation, between the
Vertical and Horizontal channel data.

ea26    +2

ea27    -6

ea28    +1

For all antennas other than ea25, the 'leakage' coupling between
channels ('D' terms) is completely dominated by the dipole rotation.
Only ea25 shows a significant coupling from other sources -- presumably
electronic.