[evlatests] Update on Strange R-L phase behavior

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 30 14:57:09 EDT 2022

Sanjay-

I think you are describing phase variation within/across the voltage
pattern, and the source wandering around in that. Wouldn't that be quite
band-dependent?   I think Rick was going to look for R/L amplitude
effects which might be evidence of that sort of thing.  And we might
expect that wander to be less systematic/symmetric, probably.   Still,
wander around the beam, especially near zenith, is likely at least a
confusing factor, indeed.

The geometric effects I've been trying to describe will operate even if
the source is strictly stationary (in direction) in the voltage
pattern.  But it is still /rotating/, or more to the point, the antenna
(and thus feed) is rotating about the direction to the source in a
manner that is a function of mechanical imperfections described by the
pointing model (and related effects).  This rotation causes differential
advance/retard of R and L phases, relative to whatever phase the vp
introduces at the point the source pierces it (assuming stable
pointing).    And to be clear, CASA (nor AIPS, to my knowledge)
incorporates geometrical info from the pointing model to correct the
differential rotation of the antennas (which gets interestingly large
near zenith).  And this would be via the parallactic angle correction,
which I suspect Rick hasn't been applying, else we'd probably see more
interesting things, like more odd symmetry effect, if AIPS is still
using geocentric latitude for the calculation (alas CASA does, too,
because the overall impact is still fairly small for most observations,
compared to likely posang errors from other causes).

As for solving for the effects as Steve suggests, we may already be
doing so, e.g., in the pointing model; i.e., existing terms can suffice,
at least qualitatively if not to scale, and maybe some new term is
needed...    My point is that we are not doing the /peculiar/ feed
rotation calibration explicitly /anywhere/**, and so the effects thereof
must show up at some level in solved-for phases in the manner Rick has
shown (possibly, or probably, confused a bit by what Sanjay describes,
but not so much as to obliterate an otherwise very geometric-looking
systematic effect), and may, in fact, be the actual explanation---if the
required mechanical errors are significant enough to do it.

(**is the correlator at all aware of the pointing model?  for
reasons/other than /net path length, if even that?)

Cheers,

George