[evlatests] S-band Bandpass comparison: MeerKAT and VLA

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 7 18:53:01 EDT 2022

All:

I have obtained some MeerKAT data, three separate observations of the
moon and nearby calibrators, at UHF, L, and S bands.

In calibrating these data, I was struck by the remarkable smoothness of
their bandpass spectra.  See the attached files, which show their S-band
bandpass and our S-band bandpass.  It's like 'night and day'.  The only
processing done is to remove the delays via FRING.    RCP/Horizontal
dipole are in the upper half, LCP/Vertical dipole in the lower.
Amplitudes are dB power.   The scales both both plots are the same, to
permit easy comparison.

The deep 'notches' in the VLA spectra are from the WIDAR subbanding --
this is a feature.  The very small, fine-scale oscillations in the VLA
spectra (not easily visible for this antenna) are due to reflections
between the subreflector and the OMT/polarizer.  Presumably, these are
absent in the MeerKAT spectra due to their offset geometry.

But what about the other major features in our spectra (both amplitude
and phase)?  My understanding is that these are due to the amplifiers.
So far as I know, MeerKAT is using the same technology for their
amplifiers, so why aren't similar fluctuations visible?  Perhaps the
MeerKAT data I have have been 'preprocessed', but I was made to
understand that these data are raw.  (I'll check on this).

Thoughts?  Any good explanations?

Rick