[evlatests] Origin of Antenna Polarization

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 19 17:59:40 EDT 2022

We have long believed the majority of the observed (on-axis) antenna
polarization is due to the receiver.   Evidence for this comes from EVLA
Memo 170, where Bob Sault and I compared the absolute antenna
polarization results derived from two different methods -- the 'receiver
rotation' method, and the '3C286 rotation' method.  The former 'sees'
only that part of the antenna polarization from the feeds onwards, the
latter sees the entire signal chain, including the antenna itself.

We found excellent agreement between the two methods, indicating that
indeed the bulk of the observed antenna polarization is due to the
receivers.

Here I report on a different comparison -- comparing the 'relative'
antenna polarizations between the 3-bit and 8-bit systems.  The data
were taken at the same time, at the same frequencies, and were
calibrated identically, with the same 'reference' antenna.  Any
differences in polarization should be due to the different signal paths
through the T304.

Attached is a plot showing the results for ea15 -- typical for all
antennas.  The yellow trace is from the 8-bit path, the green trace is
from the 3-bit path.  Red colors indicate identical results (hence the
axis labelling is completely red).  Note the yaxis is in tenths of
percent -- '100' means 10%.

The upper panel shows phase in the narrow window, and amplitude in the
wider window for RCP.  The lower panel shows the same in LCP.

There is broad similarity in the traces, but also remarkable differences
of up to 4% in amplitude, and perhaps 20 degrees in phase.  Presumably,
different reflections within the T304's signal paths for 3 and 8 bit are
responsible for the polarization differences.

Note also the very high cross-polarization -- about 12% at the lower
frequencies.