[evlatests] 'Missing' panels on ea21

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Wed May 19 18:10:35 EDT 2021

Hi Rick-

Your query reminds me of the panel that detached from *ea20* (not ea21)
back on a windy Oct 28, 2019, during the move into D-array.   One
wonders if you see a similar drop-out in the holography before (or even
after) the repair, which was within a week or so, I think. (See photo
below; I'm not quite sure how to associate your holography coords with
that pic, though that gap is on the left side looking into the dish from
above, if the antenna is tilted down.)

Ultimately, the diagnosis was some rusty bolts, and one wonders if there
are loose edge panels more generally.....  Maybe wind has dislodged (but
not yet detached) a few panels on ea21....  And maybe a good thing that
this isn't more common in your holography results?   (Folks walking on
antenna surfaces should maybe be careful....)

(NB: Lest there be any confusion, when I initially reported the detached
panel, I mistakenly identified it as ea21 (the one you are describing
today!) on pad N01, which I thought was the first north arm pad visible
from the webcam; rather, N01 is behind the whole line of west arm pads
from that perspective.  The detached panel was ea20 on N02, in fact.   I
think we have speculated previously, but inconclusively(?), on whether
or not the possibly tenuous state of that panel would have been evident
in holography around that time....)

Cheers,
George